Statement of Purpose
To deliver high quality, patient centred care to the population of Brackley and surrounding areas in a modern, purpose built premises and to provide a safe and supportive place to work for our staff
The name and address of the registered provider is: Springfield Surgery, Springfield Way, Brackley, Northants NN13 6JJ
Springfield Surgery is a well-established GP Surgery covering Brackley and the surrounding area. We were originally based in Pebble Lane in a large house and then moved to Springfield Way in 1994 to a purpose built and practice owned building, with ample on-site parking. We extended the building initially in 1998 to enable us to become a training practice and again in 2009 to further extend our capacity for training and we now have eleven consulting rooms. In 2021 we completed a further extension to provide us with an enhanced meeting room facility, this also enabled us gain 3 additional consulting rooms and further parking spaces. Our premises are modern with special consideration for the disabled, including - parking, access and many internal facilities.
We have 12,002 patients of all ages, all medical conditions and disabilities.
The age breakdown of our population of 12,002 patients is as follows:
The registered activities and service types have been agreed by the partners and practice manager in accordance with CQC guidance.
The regulated activities under CQC are:
- Diagnostic and screening procedures
- Family planning
- Maternity and midwifery services
- Surgical procedures
- Treatment of disease, disorder or injury
Under the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (The Care Quality Commission (Registration) Regulations 2009 Part 4), the registering body (Springfield Surgery) is required to provide to the Care Quality Commission a statement of purpose.
Our Aims and Objectives for delivering each of the above regulated activities
We aim to ensure high quality, safe and effective services and environment
- To provide monitored, audited and continually improving healthcare services
- To provide healthcare which is available to a whole population and create a partnership between patient and health profession which ensures mutual respect, holistic care and continuous learning and training.
- The provision of accessible healthcare which is proactive to healthcare changes, efficiency and innovation and development.
- To improve Clinical Governance and Evidence Based Practice
- To improve Clinical and Non-clinical risk management
- To reduce risk in specific clinical risk areas and facilities
- To improve environment
- To improve vigilance for unforeseen emergencies
- To optimise performance against key targets and core standards
- To meet key targets
- To become a patient centred organisation
- To safeguard both children and vulnerable adults, by ensuring that all staff receive appropriate training
- To improve services offered to patients
- To improve communication between the surgery and the patients
- To recruit, retain and develop a highly motivated and appropriately skilled workforce
- To enhance performance of the workforce
- To ensure employees maintain up to date training with regard to Equality and Diversity
- To continue the development of the Practice
- To ensure effective management and governance systems
- To ensure a robust Information Technology strategy to support the business of Springfield Surgery
The services provided by Springfield Surgery
- Routine medical checks and general medical services NHS relevant prescriptions and medications or a private prescription can be issued.
- Immunisations: Childhood immunisations / Foreign travel immunisations
- Health Protection / Preventative immunisations e.g. Influenza immunisations, Shingles Immunisations
- Lifestyle management / weight loss / exercise - for patients who want to lose weight and maintain a healthier lifestyle.
- Management of long term conditions - Our Practice Nurses manage our patients with long term conditions, we believe it is more flexible to allow patients to book appointments for their checks at times to suit them rather than in specific clinics. Patients can also book these appointments online. We operate a robust recall system to encourage patients to have regular checks. We operate a month of birth recall system to ensure that patients with more than one condition are only asked to attend surgery once to have all their reviews.
- Family planning – IUD fittings / Nexplanon fittings / Depo Provera injections and oral contraception available
- Phlebotomy – Springfield Surgery offer a clinic each morning for blood tests.
- Midwifery - The community midwife holds her own clinic at Springfield Surgery every Wednesday for our patients. They supervise antenatal care, undertake deliveries in hospital and at home where appropriate.
- Minor surgery - We offer a number of minor operations/surgeries for dermatology related concerns.
- NHS Health checks – These can be carried out with our Health Care Assistants.
- Wound dressings – Our practice nurses and Health Care Assistants are trained in all aspects of wound care
- ECG monitoring - We offer ECG Screening, we have 2 ECG machines in the practice. We have recently invested in a new machine which shows on screen results as well as having a download facility.
- 24 Hr BP Monitoring – We have a 24 hr ambulatory BP monitor.
- Cervical screening - Our practice nurses are qualified to carry out cervical screening and tests in the form of cervical smears.
Our practice ethos is to strive towards a partnership between patients and health professionals based on the following
We endeavour to treat all our patients with dignity, respect and honesty. Everyone at Springfield Surgery is committed to deliver an excellent service. We encourage patients to highlight any discrepancies and to offer the same commitment in return.
We treat patients and illnesses. This means that we are equally interested in the physical, psychological and social aspects of your individual care.
Continuity of Care
Building and maintaining a strong relationship between doctors, health professionals, and patients is essential to the way we work. This is especially so in the management of ongoing problems or long-term illness. In these circumstances we would encourage patients to continue seeing the same health professional and wherever possible we will facilitate this through our appointments system. However, if a patient has a new problem and the doctor or nurse that they normally see is not available, or they would like to see someone else then we would encourage patients to see any of the doctors or nurses at the practice.
Learning and Training
We are a training practice and are committed to the training of our doctors and nurses all of whom are closely supervised. We will usually have at least two Registrars / Foundation Doctors here at any one time. We believe in “life-long learning” and all the health professionals here and administrative staff, undergo an annual appraisal where the goals of the individual, teams and practice are discussed and agreement reached on the way forward. Regular reviews act as a way of reinforcing effective performance, highlight areas for improvement and recognise developing strengths.
We are proud of our commitment to developing our staff who express a desire to further their career.
We currently have staff in the following roles that we have developed from their initial role of receptionist. This has been achieved by a mixture of internal, external and professional training.
- Dispensary Manager Julie Tiller – NVQ
- Dispensing Technician Sarah Wilkes – NVQ
- Dispenser Donna Hemmings – NVQ
- Dispenser Tracey Ward – NVQ
- Dispenser Alison Castle – NVQ
- Health Care Assistants Kate Moss and Lauren Morgan have undertaken and passed the Care Certificate as underpinning knowledge followed by internal and external training
In July 2019 the Practice joined with Brackley Medical Centre, Towcester Medical Centre, Brook Health Centre to form the Brackley and Towcester Primary Care Network. The purpose of the PCN is to work collaboratively to provide additional services for our patients as below:
- First Contact Physio Service
- Health and Wellbeing Team comprising of Social Prescribers, Care Coordinators and a Health Coach
- Mental Health Practitioner
- Clinical Pharmacists
- Covid Vaccination Programme
- Age Well Project
Reviewed: November 2022
Next review due: November 2023
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.